My name is Morgan Haynes and I graduated from Howard University in 2017 with a Bachelor’s in sports medicine, and I’m the GEAR UP Ambassador at the College of Southern Nevada (CSN). As the GEAR UP Ambassador at CSN I assist the students with their semester planning, goal setting and more. During my undergraduate studies I was on multiple executive boards for on campus organizations and had a job off campus, while taking 12 or more credits. Managing my grades and making sure I stayed on track to graduate was a challenge. I utilized all the resources available to me at my University, which in return helped me graduate in four years with a 3.0+ GPA. With Spring 2020 enrollment approaching and final exams around the corner, here are some tips that I used, to help you be successful in your academic planning and on your final exams!
Enrollment tips for Spring 2020:
- View your school’s course catalog and map out a schedule that works for you!
- Set up an appointment with an advisor, you can go over your schedule with them, and they can agree with your plan or make other recommendations to ensure you are on track for your plan of study.
- Once you and your advisor agree on a schedule, go ahead and add the classes to your “planner” in your student center, so that when it’s time to enroll, your classes are ready to go!
Study Tips for Finals:
- Make a study schedule. Splitting your study material into chunks can help you keep track of what you’ve learned instead of looking at the “big picture” and getting overwhelmed.
- Meet with your Professor or TA. Sometimes they can give you helpful hints on what to study for on the exam.
- Quiz yourself with flash cards, it will help you become more familiar with the material you are studying.
- Take breaks!!! You won’t be able to memorize all the material at once, balance is key!
“You don’t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.” – Zig Ziglar