WHAT IS NEVADA STATE GEAR UP?
Nevada State GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) is a federally funded grant that is designed to increase the number of low-income students who are prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary education. School selection is based on a federally free or reduced lunch rate of 50% or higher. Generally, students are identified as GEAR UP during their 7th grade year and exposed to GEAR UP activities that continue through high school and their first year of college at a Nevada System of Higher Education institution. At its height, the Nevada State GEAR UP grant supported 21 high schools, a robotics program, a longitudinal study, and the UNR Dean’s Future Scholars (DFS) program. This translated into approximately 5,500 students included in Nevada State GEAR UP programming.
View the 2019-2020 higher education GEAR UP abstracts here: High Schools and Higher Education Abstracts
View the NDE school abstracts through Nevada Report Card here: Nevada Accountability Portal
An external assessment of the GEAR UP Ambassador Program subgrant for FY 18 can be found here: Ambassador Program Assessment 2017-18
STATE OR PARTNERSHIP GRANT
There are two types of GEAR UP grants, a state grant and a partnership grant. The state grant typically has a scholarship component and partnership grant does not. For the current Nevada State GEAR UP grant, Nevada received a waiver to the scholarship component. Although, this state grant will not have a federally funded scholarship component, a project objective is to identify scholarship sponsors throughout the duration of the grant.
Our project, Nevada State GEAR UP, which is highlighted throughout this website, is classified as a state grant. For more information about partnership GEAR UP grants in Nevada, please visit UNLV Center for Academic Enrichment & Outreach (CAEO).
NEVADA STATE GEAR UP GOALS
- Academic Preparation: Increase the number of Nevada GEAR UP students who are prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary education.
- Objective 1.1 Increase student academic performance in mathematics;
- Objective 1.2 Increase enrollment rates of Nevada GEAR UP (NVGU) students in postsecondary education
- Knowledge: Increase Nevada GEAR UP students’ and families’ knowledge of postsecondary education options, preparation, and financing.
- Objective 2.1 Increase student expectations and knowledge of postsecondary preparation and financial aid options and procedures;
- Objective 2.2 Increase parent and family expectations and knowledge of postsecondary preparation and financial aid options and procedures
- Graduation and College: Increase the rate of high school graduation and enrollment in postsecondary education for Nevada GEAR UP students.
- Objective 3.1 Increase graduate rates of NVGU students from high school;
- Objective 3.2 Increase enrollment rate of NVGU students in postsecondary education.
GOVERNOR’S GEAR UP VISION
- Change to culture of targeted schools to ensure students are academically prepared and have the resources to attend and succeed in college.
- Increase NSHE involvement in GEAR UP schools to create a smooth transition from secondary to postsecondary for attendance and success.
University of Nevada, Reno (UNR) GEAR UP Ambassador
Nevada State College (NSC) GEAR UP Ambassador
Dean’s Future Scholars
UNR + Washoe County School District
GEAR UP State Director
GEAR UP Research Administrator
GEAR UP College Coordinator
Hometown: Anchorage, AK