Another school year is down in the books! Huge shout out and congratulations to the class of 2022! Through it all, YOU DID IT! And we can’t wait to see what you do next.
One of our last services of this school year was our summer bridge programs. For our seniors we called it #ADULTING101 and we chatted about everything from financial literacy to mental health to other life skills and more.
Below are just 10 takeaways that our college team shared with our new high school graduates as they enter the world of #adulting:
- Whether you’re going to college or straight into the workforce, it’s important to have a good relationship with your instructors/colleagues (Morgan). Kindness, consideration, and consistency can go a long way, especially in times where you might need it back.
- Always be networking (Tanya) – you never know who you’re going to meet and what their impact in your life may be. Practice your elevator pitch and know your self-worth, because you are worth it!
- No one knows what you need better than yourself. One of the best things you can do for yourself to ensure your own success is to be your own advocate (Kat).
- Master a high paying skill and become irreplaceable (Andrea), as this helps with job security in whichever career path you choose.
- Life is full of ups and downs, and things are going to change, but everything will work out in the end! Don’t stress too much on what your future will look like (Tawnie).
- You are who you surround yourself with. Be intentional about the people you are around (Kat/Tanya), as they are a reflection of who you are and who you want to be.
- You have your own journey, but you are not alone (Jana), so don’t be afraid to ask for help and lean on your village. We are all here to be there for you!
- Life is short, and this next phase of your life is only part of the story. So, enjoy yourself and HAVE FUN! (Jairon)
- You may be just starting your adulting journey, but from this point on, adulting never ends (Jana) – so take a breath and just keep swimming. Many of us struggle at different points living this game called life, no matter how long we’ve been in it, but there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. YOU GOT THIS and WE GOT YOU!
- Life may get tough, but always remember your WHY to help you stay motivated to reach your goals.
Welcome to this new stage of life: #adulting! You are on this journey of life for a reason, and your village is here to help you every step of the way. Thank you for letting Nevada GEAR UP be a part of your story and we are so excited to see where life takes you! Have a wonderful summer and we’ll see you soon!