WHAT IS NEVADA STATE GEAR UP?
Nevada State GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) is a federally funded grant that is designed to increase the number of low-income students who are prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary education. School selection is based on a federally free or reduced lunch rate of 50% or higher. Generally, students are identified as GEAR UP during their 7th grade year and exposed to GEAR UP activities that continue through high school and their first year of college at a Nevada System of Higher Education institution. At its height, the Nevada State GEAR UP grant supported 21 high schools, a robotics program, a longitudinal study, and the UNR Dean’s Future Scholars (DFS) program. This translated into approximately 5,500 students included in Nevada State GEAR UP programming.
View the 2020-2021 Abstracts for GEAR UP Schools and higher education: High Schools and Higher Education Abstracts
View the NDE school abstracts through Nevada Report Card here: Nevada Accountability Portal
STATE OR PARTNERSHIP GRANT
There are two types of GEAR UP grants, a state grant and a partnership grant. The state grant typically has a scholarship component and partnership grant does not. For the current Nevada State GEAR UP grant, Nevada received a waiver to the scholarship component. Although, this state grant will not have a federally funded scholarship component, a project objective is to identify scholarship sponsors throughout the duration of the grant.
Our project, Nevada State GEAR UP, which is highlighted throughout this website, is classified as a state grant. For more information about partnership GEAR UP grants in Nevada, please visit UNLV Center for Academic Enrichment & Outreach (CAEO).
NEVADA STATE GEAR UP GOALS
- GOAL 1: Increase the rate of high school graduation and enrollment in postsecondary education for Nevada GEAR UP students.
- Objective 1.1 Increase student academic performance in mathematics.
- Objective 1.2: Increase high school graduation rates for Nevada GEAR UP students.
- GOAL 2: Increase the number of Nevada GEAR UP students who are prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary education.
- Objective 2.1: Increase postsecondary enrollment rates for Nevada GEAR UP students.
- GOAL 3: Increase Nevada GEAR UP students’ and families’ knowledge of postsecondary education options, preparation, and financing.
- Objective 3.1: Increase student’s expectations and knowledge of postsecondary education options, preparation, and financing.
- Objective 3.2: Increase parent’s expectations and knowledge of postsecondary education options, preparation, and financing.